9th International Workshop on Web APIs and Service Architecture (WS-REST 2018)
Hosted by The Web Conference 2018 (WWW2018), Lyon, France
WS-REST 2018 takes place on Monday, April 23, 2018, as part of The Web Conference 2018 (WWW2018). The schedule follows the general WWW2018 tutorial schedule, with morning sessions 9.00-10.20 and 11.00-12.20, and afternoon sessions 13.40-15.00 and 15.40-17.00.
Research Track (9.00-12.20)
- 9.00-10.20 Research Session 1
- 9.00-9.10 Opening Remarks – Mike Amundsen (Chairs’ Welcome)
- 9.10-9.50 Research Keynote – Cesare Pautasso: Microservices: An Eventually Inconsistent Architectural Style? (Slides: PDF/HTML)
- 9.50-10.00 Q&A with Cesare Pautasso and Mike Amundsen
- 10.00-10.20 Henry Vu, Tobias Fertig, and Peter Braun: Verification of Hypermedia Characteristic of RESTful Finite-State Machines (Paper)
- 11.00-12.20 Research Session 2
- 11.00-11.20 Sebastian Bader and Maria Maleshkova: Virtual Representations for an Iterative IoT Deployment (Paper)
- 11.20-11.40 Anastasios Dimanidis, Kyriakos Chatzidimitriou, and Andreas Symeonidis: A Natural Language Driven Approach for Automated Web API Development (Paper)
- 11.40-12.00 Tobias Fertig and Peter Braun: Towards Offline Support for RESTful Systems (Paper)
- 12.00-12.20 Research Panel – All track speakers, moderated by Mike Amundsen
Industry Track (13.40-17.00)
- 13.40-15.00 Industry Session 1
- 13.40-14.20 Industry Keynote – Christian Fauré: How to live with the schizophrenia of REST style architecture in the industry?
- 14.20-14.30 Q&A with Christian Fauré & Mehdi Medjaoui
- 14.30-15.00 Tomasz Pluskiewicz: Functional composition of hypermedia-driven HTML UI
- 15:40-17:00 Industry Session 2
- 15.40-15.55 Allan Denis: Streaming APIs In An HTTP/2 World
- 15.55-16.10 Jorge Ferrer and Alejandro Hernandez: Abstracting away REST to facilitate the creation of Evolvable APIs
- 16.10-16.25 Kin Lane: API Transit: A Transit Model For API Governance Using A Hypermedia Engine
- 16.25-16.50 Industry Panel – All track speakers, moderated by Mehdi Medjaoui
- 16.50-17.00 Closing remarks – Mehdi Medjaoui
Research Keynote by Cesare Pautasso (USI): Microservices: An Eventually Inconsistent Architectural Style?
Microservices by definition let each service independently manage its own database. In this talk we illustrate the ultimate consequences of the Polyglot persistence principle, which can be summarized using the BAC theorem: When Backing up a microservice architecture, it is not possible to have both Consistency (after recovery) and full Availability (while backing up the system). In other words, loosely coupled Microservice architectures are doomed to become inconsistent after disaster strikes. We will present and compare several coping strategies to deal with this limitation and discuss how they impact the monolith decomposition process and the corresponding service API boundary design. (Slides: PDF/HTML)
Industry Keynote by Christian Fauré (Partner & Scientific Director at OCTO Technology): How to live with the schizophrenia of REST style architecture in the industry?
As a scientific director in a consulting and engineering company, I’m constantly under contradictory injunctions, especially when I have deal with REST Web APIs. I say to my clients “Do not version REST APIs”, but the very next day I say “Ok, I’m going to show you how to version your APIs”. Many other examples will be given during this keynote. How far are the web APIs implemented in the industry from the scientific recommendations (Hint: very far)? Most importantly, how are we to reconcile the scientific point of view with the day to day engineering work of designing and building web APIs? I will refer to the publication of Cyclopædia in London (1728) and the french Encyclopedia from d’Alembert (1751) to explain the way I try to manage my schizophrenia between science and engineering, and between research and industry.
There is no separate registration for workshops, all registration matters and workshop access is handled by The Web Conference 2018 (WWW2018). Please refer to the WWW 2018 registration page for details and pricing (WWW2018 has numerous workshops and workshop registrations can combine any of those).